The role of the coach is not just coaching! Sports coaches assist players in developing to their full potential. They are responsible for instructing in relevant skills, analysing performances, monitoring development, as well as being there to guide players by providing support and encouragement.
We are currently seeking expressions of interest from individuals with experience in a coaching role to complete the Level 1 Award in Coaching (See details below). A basic knowledge of boccia is necessary prior to taking the course and previous experience working with people with disabilities would be an advantage. We aim to facilitate this course in the coming months, dependant of course on the level of interest. Please contact email@example.com if interested.
Below are the details of courses accredited by the UK.
Boccia Leaders Award
Leaders have a basic understanding of the sport and the necessary skills to be able to lead boccia sessions. Leaders may be community workers, multi-sport session organisers, staff of residential homes, teachers, or those involved in Local Authority Youth Games.
To introduce the necessary skills and knowledge required to be an effective boccia leader. The course has been designed to cover the important elements of delivering a boccia activity within the community.
- Introduce and teach the game of boccia
- Understand basic rules and the interpretation of rules
- Lead boccia sessions with an appropriately structured activity plan and in accordance with health and safety requirements
- Be aware of the needs of individuals and the empowerment of all players
- Teach basic skill practices to players Introduce creativity and fun sessions
- Have an understanding of the existing competitive structures to enable individuals to progress in the sport
The course is suitable for community workers, leaders and individual players. Including those involved with: Residential homes Sports clubs Schools County Sports Partnerships
4.5 hours with a requirement to undertake a minimum of 2 hours follow on activity within a leadership capacity in order to achieve accreditation.
Ideal minimum 10, maximum 20.
LEVEL 1 AWARD IN COACHING BOCCIA
Coaches are responsible for training players in boccia by preparing training programmes, developing new skills, analysing player performances and providing encouragement and motivation. Coaches help players to develop to their full potential.
The 1st4sport Level 1 Award in Coaching Boccia (QCF) is the first qualification on the boccia coaching ladder. The qualification is designed to provide learners with an introduction to the practical and theoretical aspects of coaching boccia. The foundation level of knowledge recognised in this qualification will enable learners to develop an understanding of the safe, ethical and effective management and coaching of boccia. Those who complete the qualification will be able to assist other, more qualified coaches in delivering boccia coaching sessions to players of all ages.
This course is a prerequisite to attending the UKCC Level 2 Certificate in Coaching Boccia.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of fundamental coaching principles.
- Develop an understanding of the basic rules, techniques and tactics of boccia.
- Provide safe, progressive and fun skill practices for players at the appropriate level of ability.
- Appreciate issues in respect of inclusive practice.
Completion of a Boccia Leaders Award, prior knowledge of boccia or experience of sports coaching in general is required.
The Level 1 course is a 3 day programme; 2 days contact time with a tutor and 1 day assessment. (09.00-17.00 each day).
Ideal minimum 8, maximum 12.